Closure of 2G Services Business FAQ
Business Mobile Services
- Why is StarHub shutting down 2G network? Will the other telecommunications operators be shutting down 2G network as well?
As Singapore becomes one of the most connected cities in the world, more and more customers have already adopted for 3G and 4G services, and only a small percentage of users remain on 2G. This closure will allow all operators in Singapore to redeploy wireless spectrum and offer better 3G and 4G services to customers.
- How will this closure affect me? What do I need to do?
When 2G services are discontinued with effect from 1 April 2017, you will not be able to use mobile voice, SMS and data services if you are on a 2G-only mobile device or have manually set your phone network mode to 2G. We encourage you to switch to a newer 3G/4G device or set your phone network mode to 3G/4G.
- Does this 2G network closure impact both prepaid and postpaid customers?
Yes, this 2G closure will affect both prepaid and postpaid customers who are using 2G-only mobile device or have manually set their phone network mode to 2G.
- I am an inbound roamer. How does this 2G network closure impact me?
When 2G services are discontinued with effect from 1 April 2017, inbound roamers will not be able to use mobile voice, SMS and data services if you are on a 2G-only mobile device or have manually set your phone network mode to 2G. To log on to our 3G/4G network, please ensure you are using a 3G or 4G phone.
- How will I know if I am on a 2G-only device?
Please consult the device manual for more information. You are probably on a 2G-only device if the network mode setting in your phone only supports GSM and/or GPRS and/or EDGE. Please check with your device manufacturer if you are still unsure.
- Does my phone setting restrict network access to 2G and how can I turn it off?
You can adjust the phone network mode in your phone settings. Please consult the device manual for more information.
- I am currently using a 2G device. What are my options to prepare for the 2G network closure in 2017?
You can continue to use your 2G device until the closure of the 2G network on 1 April 2017.
If you are a postpaid customer and eligible to re-contract, we strongly encourage you to take advantage of our latest mobile offers. Please visit any StarHub Shop for assistance.
For business mobile customers, please approach your StarHub Account Manager for assistance if you wish to find out the latest mobile device offers available for you.
For pre-paid customers who wish to buy a 3G or 4G phone, please visit any of our over 40 authorised dealers across the island for the latest offers.
- Will I need to change SIM card to enjoy 3G/4G connection?
All our SIM Cards supports 3G and 4G services. However, some newer handsets come with smaller SIM card slots. Hence you may need to replace your existing SIM card.
- Will I need to change my mobile plan to enjoy 3G/4G connection?
No. You do not need to change your mobile plan. To enjoy 3G/4G connection, please switch to a newer 3G/4G device or set your phone network mode to 3G/4G.
- What is your 3G/4G coverage now? Will I experience issue with the network after the shutdown?
StarHub provides island-wide 3G and 4G services. There should not be coverage issues as a result of the cessation of 2G services.
Business M2M Solutions
- Will my M2M service be affected as a result of this cessation?
If your devices are not 3G/4G enabled, they will not be able to connect to the StarHub mobile network to sent data. However, your existing StarHub M2M services managed through the M2M Service Manager Portal will not be affected by this cessation as the service is running on 3G and 4G network. We encourage you to approach your StarHub Account Manager and M2M solution specialists to find out how StarHub can assist with your migration planning.
- What happens if my 2G-only devices are not replaced by 1 April 2017?
You will not be able to communicate using your 2G devices when the 2G network ceases. You will need to upgrade your devices to 3G/4G enabled in order to continue sending data wirelessly. We encourage you to approach your StarHub Account Manager and M2M Solutions Specialists to find out how StarHub can assist with your migration planning.
- How can StarHub assist in my migration from 2G to 3G/ 4G devices?
Apart from providing M2M SIM cards, StarHub has partnerships with device manufacturers, System Integrators (SIs), internal delivery teams, application developers and research academics. We can provide you with all the assistance you need for your migration.