High Definition TV
1. What is High Definition TV (HDTV)?
HDTV is an advancement in TV technology; broadcasting on digital video format, and capable of displaying 16:9 aspect ratio images with resolution that is far superior and sharper than the current Analogue Television or Standard Definition Television (SDTV). HDTV programmes are also broadcast with full Dolby® Digital 5.1 Surround Sound where available.
You will have a totally different TV viewing experience with theatre-quality pictures and cinematic sound effects in Dolby® Digital 5.1 Surround Sound (where available).
2. What are the key features of HDTV?
With the HDTV service on StarHub TV, you can See More, Hear More, and Feel More of your favourite television programmes than ever before.
- A Widescreen Movie Experience On Your TV
Get a wide movie-screen experience with HDTV as pictures are presented in a 16:9 aspect ratio.
Most TV sets today are manufactured using the 4:3 aspect ratio – 4 units wide by 3 units high. HDTV on the other hand delivers images in 16:9 aspect ratio. So you enjoy panoramic widescreen viewing that closely fits with the human field of vision. To be exact, you enjoy 33% more 'screen view' than with a standard TV.
- Crystal Clear Images
The sharpness of your television image, or its screen resolution, is measured by the number of horizontal lines displayed on the TV screen. The more the lines, the higher resolution and the sharper the images on your TV screen will be.
A HD-ready TV set offers at least twice the resolution and 4 times greater detail, sharpness and clarity than the standard TV.
- True-to-life Colour
Be mesmerised by life-like images with a display of millions more colours.
- Captivating Cinematic Sound
Remember the feeling of your heart leaping into your mouth the last time you heard the dinosaur's footsteps approaching from behind the cinema walls? HDTV has the capability to delivery cinematic sounds via Dolby® Digital 5.1 surround sound.
Properly decoded, each audio track can be isolated to individual speakers around your TV viewing area to recreate the multi-dimensional audio experience, right in your living room.
- High Quality HD Programmes
From the farthest reaches of the universe, to the endless plains of wildlife, culture, people and places on earth, and to the very depths of the wide blue ocean, StarHub TV's breath-taking line up of HD programming will take you there.
Enjoy high-quality, world-class programmes on these dedicated HD channels:
- All Sports Network (HD) (CH 215)
- BBC FIRST HD (Ch 522)
- Food Network (HD) (CH 433)
- FOX (HD) (CH 505)
- FOXCRIME (HD) (CH 503)
- FX (HD) (CH 507)
- HBO (HD) (CH 601)
- HBO Hits (HD) (CH 605)
- History (HD)™ (CH 401)
- MTV LIVE HD (CH 580)
- NAT GEO PEOPLE (HD) (CH 412)
- NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC CHANNEL HD (CH 457)
- NAT GEO WILD (HD) (CH 413)
- ONE (HD) (CH 876)
- SONY Channel HD (Ch 510)
- STAR WORLD HD (CH 501)
- And more
Click here or call 1630 to subscribe to the above channels.
3. How do I enjoy the HDTV service on StarHub TV?
To enjoy the HDTV service on StarHub TV, you will need:
- A HD-ready TV set
- Dolby® Digital Home Entertainment System (optional)
- An active postpaid cable TV subscription with a minimum of 3 Basic Groups, plus StarHub's HubStation HD, HD Interactive set-top box or HD set-top box to view HD programmes.
4. What is a HD-ready TV set?
The minimum requirements for a HD-ready TV are:
- Minimum native resolution of the display must be at least 720 physical lines in aspect ratio 16:9
- The display must be able to resolve either 720p, 1080i or 1080p.
- HD capable inputs must accept the following HD video formats:
- 720p:1280 x 720 @ 50 Hz progressive; and
- 1080i: 1920 x 1080 @ 50 Hz interlace
(HDTV comes in two formats: 1080i or 720p and StarHub will be using1080i)
- Component (Y-Pr -Pb) or HDMI input must support content protection, High-Bandwidth Digital Content protection system (HDCP).
5. What is a HubStation HD, HD Interactive set-top box or HD set-top box and how are they different from the digital HubStation set-top boxes?
The HubStation HD, HD Interactive set-top box and HD set-top box offer the following features, in addition to the features and on-screen applications* that are currently available on the digital HubStation set-top box:
- Accessibility to High Definition and Standard Definition channels;
- Automatic widescreen format for pictures;
- Supports Dolby® Digital 5.1 Surround Sound; and
- Supports video resolutions 576i, 576p, 720p and 1080i.
*On-screen applications available on the HubStation HD, HD Interactive set-top box and HD set-top box include:
- Auto Tune
- Access and Purchase Video-On-Demand titles
- Favourite Channel
- FunZone Games
- Info Bar
- Info Page
- Last Channel Recall
- On-screen TV Guide
- Parental Lock
- Programme Alert
- Sort by Genre
- Video Mosaics
6. How much is the rental for the HubStation HD, HD Interactive set-top box and HD set-top box?
The rental charges are as follows:
|Main Set-Top Box /Per Month
|Additional Outlet / Per Month
|Interactive Set-Top Box||$6.42||$14.98|
|HD Set-Top Box||$6.42||$14.98|
7. Who can rent the HubStation HD, HD Interactive set-top box or HD set-top box?
The HubStation HD, HD Interactive set-top box and HD set-top box are available on a rental basis only to all cable TV customers who have subscribed to a minimum of three Basic Groups. To enjoy HD content, you must be subscribed to a minimum of 3 Basic Tiers.
8. How can I rent a HubStation HD, HD Interactive set-top box or HD set-top box and subscribe to the HD channels?
For new StarHub TV customers, you can rent a HubStation HD, HD Interactive set-top box or HD set-top box and subscribe to HD channels through one of the following means: (i) visiting any StarHub Shop or Exclusive Partner; (ii) online at www.starhub.com/shop; or (iii) contacting us at 1630. Existing customers can visit any of our Customer Service Centres, call 1633 or visit www.starhub.com/myaccountmgr
9. How much do I need to pay if I want to use the HubStation HD, HD Interactive set-top box or HD set-top box as an additional box?
The prevailing set-top box rental charge will apply depending on the type of box chosen.
On top of that, an 'Additional Screen' charge of $10.70 per month will apply for such additional set-top boxes.
10. What should I do if I encounter problems with my HubStation HD, HD Interactive set-top box or HD set-top box?
You can contact us via our Customer Care Hotline at 1633 to schedule for a Service Call, which is chargeable at $32.10 (GST inclusive).
11. Will I be able to view MediaCorp's channels in Standard Definition, using StarHub's HubStation HD, HD Interactive set-top box or HD set-top box?
Yes. You will be able to view MediaCorp's Channel 5, Channel 8, Channel U, Suria, Channel News Asia and Central in Standard Definition, using StarHub's HubStation HD, HD Interactive set-top box or HD set-top box.
12. Will I be able to receive MediaCorp's HD5 using StarHub's HubStation HD, HD Interactive set-top box or HD set-top box?
You will be able to view MediaCorp's HD5 in High Definition, using StarHub's HubStation HD, HD Interactive set-top box or HD set-top box.