Westworld, HBO’s brand new drama series, has debuted to much fanfare, and is available in Singapore at the same time as the U.S. The intense, fascinating show is a dark odyssey about artificial intelligence and the evolution of sin, exploring a world where every human desire, no matter how noble or depraved, can be indulged.
The verdict? Brilliant. Here are top 5 reasons why you should be watching this show if you aren’t already!
1. It’s been touted to take over the behemoth that is the Game of Thrones, and with good reason. The first season reportedly cost a whopping US$54 million to make, and according to other sources, five seasons and its season finale have already been mapped out. Fans looking to dive into another fantastical world that promises to be as ambitious and immersive as Game of Thrones’ should get into this right away.
2. The people behind it are forces to be reckoned with. Executive producer J.J. Abrams needs no introduction: he’s been credited for revitalising Star Trek and Star Wars, arguably two of the biggest sci-fi movie franchises of all time.
And that’s not all, co-creators Jonathan Nolan and wife Lisa Joy, who have built an impressive resume of writing acclaimed works such as The Dark Knight, Interstellar, and Burn Notice, are sure to up the ante in deep storytelling and plot detail.
3. It’s based on Michael Crichton’s amazing 1973 movie of the same name. If the name Crichton doesn’t sound familiar, it should be—he went on to write Jurassic Park, the novel which was adapted into the wildly successful movie franchise about dinosaurs running amok in a theme park.
4. A stellar award-winning ensemble cast, featuring big, big names such as the Oscar-winning Anthony Hopkins of “The Silence of the Lambs” fame. In his first ever regular TV role, he plays Dr Robert Ford, the creator of Westworld’s futuristic theme park filled with androids.
Portraying equally captivating characters are Evan Rachel Wood, James Marsden, Thandie Newton, Ed Harris and Jeffrey Wright. And there’s plenty of evidence that there are many more rich back stories to be unveiled in the episodes to come.
5. Critics’ reviews are already raving about early episodes: dark and deftly handled themes of artificial consciousness and human hubris set against epic backdrops of the Western landscape. With the meticulously crafted theme park, utterly compelling performances and a haunting soundtrack, Westworld is simply breathtaking to watch.
In short, Westworld has all the hallmarks of top-notch television, and we can’t wait for more.
Westworld premieres on HBO (Ch 601) every Monday, 9.00am, with a same day primetime encore at 9.00pm. Catch up on missed episodes on HBO On Demand (Ch 602), or stream it anywhere with the StarHub Go app.
Sign up to our Supreme Box Office Pack to enjoy HBO on StarHub TV.
Westworld is also available two weeks after TV premiere on StarHub Go - our paid video streaming service.
Sign up to Go Select to enjoy HBO Originals and more without a StarHub TV subscription.