29 March 2007
Singapore, 29 March 2007 – StarHub’s Advanced Multimedia Services unit today unveils pfingo, an innovative new mobile Internet service suite that provides a consistent and user-friendly experience for messaging, communication and entertainment services across the mobile phone and PC in a single, integrated application.
A new unit within StarHub, Advanced Multimedia Services is developing pfingo that leverages Internet Protocol (IP) standards to deliver services using the Internet for greater convenience and flexibility for all mobile users, regardless of the mobile network they belong to.
pfingo, short for ‘phone, finger, Internet, on the go’, allows customers to mobilise their existing favourite web-based services such as email (Google, Yahoo! or other email services), voice-over-IP, and instant messaging (Windows Live Messenger) with greater ease and convenience. It eliminates complex configuration and multiple log-in procedures that plague consumers today. It also provides an optimised user experience by integrating the services into a single, integrated application accessible across different devices.
For instance, pfingoACTIVE, which works to integrate many powerful communications services, provides users access to popular messaging and communication services such as push email, push news and RSS feeds, mobile instant messaging and remote file management from their mobile phone. It also comes as a PC software that allows automatic synchronisation of contacts, calendars and task lists as well as providing secure access to the PC hard drives.
Said Chan Kin Hung, the head of the Advanced Multimedia Services unit at StarHub: “Working with several technology partners such as GlobalRoam, Movaio, MOZAT, Nokia, Outblaze and Ufinity, we are co-developing pfingo as a network- and vendor-neutral mobile Internet solution aimed at simplifying people’s ever busy lifestyles. With its consistent and user-friendly interface that is set to offer customers an unparalleled mobile experience, you do not have to be a tech-savvy person to use pfingo, as its services are easy to set up, user friendly, affordable and supported on a wide array of mobile devices as well as the PC.
“With a strong focus on the needs of the consumer today, we are in a unique position to offer mobile users the best Internet experience on both mobile and online platforms through pfingo. Stay tuned, as we bring more powerful services and build more useful features on pfingo for a richer mobile Internet experience for you!"
The initial pfingo services available are:
pfingoMAIL – So much more than just email
- More than just another webmail service, pfingoMAIL is also your central email management tool but that allows you to automatically retrieve mail from up to five external POP-based email accounts;
- It also serves as a central personal information management (PIM) database to enable you to synchronise your calendars and contacts across pfingo services stored on different mobile devices, and Microsoft Outlook on the PC;
- The basic pfingoMAIL will be automatically provided free-of-charge to anyone signing up for pfingo. Premium packages with enhanced features and increased storage are also available.
pfingoACTIVE – Puts the power of pfingo at your fingertips
- pfingoACTIVE is a software program for the mobile phone that integrates many powerful communications services in a single application;
- It provides users access to popular messaging and communication services such as push email, push news and RSS feeds, mobile instant messaging and remote file management from their mobile phone;
- The service is further enhanced with a PC software program that allows automatic synchronisation of contacts, calendars and task lists as well as providing secure access to the PC hard drives;
- pfingoACTIVE also features automatic push email configuration for pfingoMAIL and a portal to set up and manage all pfingoACTIVE services;
- It operates on most MIDP 2.0 Java capable phones. Most mobile phones in the market today support Java applications.
pfingoTALK – Internet telephony made easy
- pfingoTALK is a VoIP service to make and receive calls over the Internet from a Wi-Fi hotspot or broadband connected PC;
- It works on SIP-based Wi-Fi mobile phones such as the Nokia N80IE, Nokia 95, Nokia E61 and Nokia E65 phones, or as a software-based phone for any Microsoft Windows powered PC;
- Users get their own ‘3’-series phone number for this service;
- A subscription-based service, pfingoTALK will allow free calls to any pfingoTALK number or any other Singapore mobile or fixed phone number;
- Users can also obtain an overseas phone number that is linked to their pfingoTALK account so that contacts in that country can dial this number and pay only local call rate.
Free sampling of pfingo starts April
From Monday, 2 April 2007, three services – pfingoMAIL, pfingoACTIVE and pfingoTALK – will be available for free for three months to any mobile user, regardless of which mobile network they are connected to. Interested parties can sign up for the trial programme today at the pfingo portal ( www.pfingo.com ) by submitting their email address online.
Successful registrants will subsequently receive a welcome email with their pfingo account information to set up the service instantly. They will also get a brand new ‘3’-series phone number to use pfingoTALK and receive S$20 worth of international voice and SMS credits.
The trial sign-up, service provisioning, user support and enquiries will all be handled via the Internet at the pfingo portal: www.pfingo.com.
About StarHub’s Advanced Multimedia Services
Advanced Multimedia Services is a new business unit within StarHub that leverages StarHub’s current skills and capabilities with focus in convergence opportunities primarily in mobile and Internet services. The unit is developing pfingo, a brand new mobile Internet solutions suite that employs IP to deliver services using the Internet for greater convenience and flexibility for all mobile users, regardless of the mobile network they connect to. The entire suite of pfingo services works seamlessly across the mobile device and PC by integrating messaging and communication services such as email, voice-over-IP and instant messaging.