Exclusive Info-communications Partner for Third Consecutive Year
Singapore, 20 January 2003 - Golfing fans now have much to cheer about! For the third year in a row, StarHub is the exclusive info-communications partner for the Caltex Masters presented by Carlsberg, Singapore 2003. This prestigious event will be held at the Laguna National Golf & Country Club from 23 January 2003 (Thursday) till 26 January 2003 (Sunday).
StarHub's Star Player
Fresh from his victory in Hawaii where he won the season-opening Mercedes Championship by eight strokes, South African Ernie Els is StarHub’s star player for the event. Popularly known as the "Big Easy", Mr Els is now ranked Number Two in the world.
"I am thrilled to be heading back to Singapore again and I am grateful to StarHub for inviting me over. The Caltex Masters presented by Carlsberg will be a great tournament to kick-start the New Year. It has been a long time since I last played in Singapore, so I am really looking forward to coming back to this great part of Asia," Mr Els enthused.
Selected StarHub corporate customers will get the privileged chance to play with Mr Els at StarHub’s Corporate Golf Day on Tuesday, 21 January 2003. To be held at the Tanah Merah Golf Club, the session will involve 16 flights of invited guests. They will be able to pitch their swing and putting skills against Mr Els, as well as exchange the finer points of golfing with him. Four StarHub teams will also be on hand at the Pro-Am tournament on Wednesday, 22 January 2003 at the Laguna National Golf & Country Club, to play with other professional golfers, including Mr Els.
In addition, Mr Els will also make a special appearance at the StarHub marquee on Sunday, 26 January 2003 from 4.30pm to 5.00pm, to mingle with StarHub’s guests.
StarHub will provide Mr Els and his caddy with premium mobile phones for their personal usage during their stay in Singapore.
Exclusive Info-communications Partner - Technology Showcase
As the exclusive info-communications partner for the third consecutive year, StarHub will be using microwave technology to give users access to services that rely on ADSL, HDSL, leased lines and ISDN. The microwave technology effectively transports signals from point to point using radio frequency. This works just like a wire (copper, coaxial and fibre) but without a physical medium.
By supplying more than 100 lines, this effectively powers areas such as the Media Centre where the media can make local and IDD 008 calls, send facsimiles, do data transfer or broadcast to their own news headquarters both locally and worldwide.
At the StarHub marquee, located strategically next to the 18th hole, corporate customers can establish and strengthen their business camaraderie with each other, whilst watching the ‘live’ action. They will also be empowered with StarHub’s Wireless Broadband and mobile services, so that they can stay in touch with their work, even as they are enjoying the game at Laguna.
Using the global wireless standard IEEE802.11b (or Wi-Fi), StarHub Wireless Broadband service empowers business customers to simultaneously connect to the Internet or their corporate data networks, without being constrained by wires or cables. This means that customers can carry a laptop and surf anytime, anywhere in the StarHub marquee. Customers will also be able to access their data at up to speeds of 11mbps and be connected locally to StarHub’s high-speed fibre-optic network, and worldwide through StarHub’s Global Tier 1 Internet Exchange backbone.
StarHub guests in the marquee will also be able to see StarHub’s MMS service in action as StarHubbers will be taking photographs of guests using their MMS-enabled handsets and sending the images to guests’ MMS-enabled handsets or email addresses.
StarHub Mobile customers with MMS-enabled handsets will get to enjoy free downloads of about a dozen top golfers’ pictures via StarHub’s corporate website at www.starhub.com. This website will also provide the latest ‘live’ scores.
StarHub CableTV customers will be able to catch the ‘live’ golfing actions on SuperSports Plus (Channel 21) between 2.30pm to 5.30pm on 23 and 24 January 2003, and between 12.30pm to 4.30pm on 25 and 26 January 2003.
Other StarHub Goodies
StarHub will also be dishing out other goodies for participants of the Caltex Masters presented by Carlsberg, Singapore 2003:
-- StarHub is the official water supplier for the second year in a row. This means that StarHub will sponsor a staggering 35,500 bottles of IDD 008 branded water to quench the thirst of players and the public!
-- StarHub will sponsor prizes for KinderGolf’s participants. Kindergolf will provide a fun and creative environment for children under eight years of age to try basic golf swings and to learn about golf history and latest heroes. It also aims to promote golf as a family sport. Kindergolf will be open on Saturday, 25 January 2003 and Sunday, 26 January 2003 from 10am to 4pm.
- End -
Trivia Factsheet: Did You Know… ?
- … that StarHub is the exclusive info-communications partner for the Caltex Masters presented by Carlsberg, Singapore 2003 for the third year running?
- … that StarHub will be showcasing a myriad of info-communications solutions at the event? Here’s the list! Take a deep breath…
- StarHub Wireless Broadband services (at the StarHub marquee)
- Mobile (voice and data) services
- 100 telephone sets
- 25 local lines, 30 IDD lines and 6 IDD fax lines at the media centre
- two local lines, four IDD lines and two IDD fax lines at the tournament office
- two local lines, four IDD lines and two IDD fax lines at the operations centre
- 12 local lines at the sponsor village
- 2 StarHub 512K DLC local lines (one for the World Sports Group marquee and the other for the Caltex marquee)
- one local line in the ticketing tent
Phew! That’s really hubbing for you!
- … that invited StarHub guests can surf the Net, retrieve their corporate email or data without wires nor cables at the StarHub marquee? That is really freedom in surfing!
- ... StarHub guests can also enjoy MMS services with their MMS-enabled handsets at the marquee!
- … that StarHub will have a 2.5m X 2.5m TV screen for invited guests to view the championship broadcast in the air-conditioned comfort of the marquee? That’s true pampering in tropical Singapore!
- … that StarHub is also the Exclusive Water Supplier for the second year running? We will be providing 10 parasols for the celebrity golfers to cool off on the green. We will also be quenching the thirst of thousands of people with a whopping 35,500 IDD 008 distilled water bottles. Just check out where these bottles will be placed:
- 25,000 bottles at each of the seven on-course water coolers;
- 5,000 bottles at the 10 VIP sponsor marquees;
- 1,000 bottles at the media centre;
- 4,000 bottles at the Event office;
- 500 bottles at each of the five press conferences and side events.
- … that StarHub’s star player for this year is popular South African Ernie Els? StarHub’s previous star players were Colin Montgomerie (in 2001) and Nick Faldo (in 2002).