Singapore, 11 October 2002 – From tomorrow, StarHub Mobile’s SMS-centric customers will be able to enjoy an exciting and highly interactive form of messaging – Multimedia Messaging Service (MMS). As the name suggests, MMS provides our mobile customers the ability to send and receive messages comprising a combination of text, sounds and images to MMS-enabled handsets (For example, the Sony Ericsson T68i, upgraded T68, Nokia 7650 & 7210).
As part of the launch promotion and to encourage our customers to try MMS, StarHub’s post-paid mobile customers will be able to experience the service at no charge. To get started, all they need is a MMS-enabled handset and to register for the service. For existing Gee! users, they are automatically registered. For StarHub’s pre-paid customers and those without MMS-enabled handsets, they will be able to receive and view MMS messages with an online option.
Four Ways to Stay MMS-Connected
StarHub’s post-paid customers with a MMS-enabled handset can:
- Send a MMS to a friend who also has a MMS-enabled handset
- Send a MMS to a friend who has a non-MMS handset (That friend will receive an SMS indicating an ID and password to view the MMS online at StarHub’s MMS Retrieval Centre)
- Send a MMS to a friend’s email address
- Receive and view MMS messages.
"MMS has taken a lot of the winning features from SMS and has made it more interactive and powerful. With StarHub offering a wider range of MMS-enabled handsets as well as a dozen MMS and GPRS roaming destinations, our customers are able to experience multimedia messaging in Singapore and also overseas," said Mr Chan Kin Hung, Vice President, StarHub Mobile.
"As the first local operator to have MMS and GPRS roaming to the USA, our customers will not only have a new "Hubbing" option to keep them constantly connected, but will also be able to capture and share memorable moments with their families and friends in a very intimate and entertaining way whilst in the USA. They can also do this in Europe and Asia!"
Power-Packed MMS Applications
StarHub’s MMS applications will include:
- MMS Roaming: StarHub is the first local operator to offer MMS roaming to the USA. The other countries include Austria, Finland, Hong Kong, Iceland, Indonesia, Italy, Malaysia, Philippines, Taiwan, Thailand, and Turkey.
- MMS Downloads : Pick the coolest MMS Animations, Pictures or Comics like Betty Boop, Hagar the Horrible and Beetle Bailey to jazz up your messages. Alternatively, compose and customise your MMS from StarHub’s range of images.
- Game: Play the "Guess Who?" Celebrity Quiz. Basically, the user gets a pixilated image of a celebrity and he has to guess who the celebrity is. The more he guesses, the clearer the picture gets.
- More Goodies To Come: StarHub customers can look forward to more innovative applications like News Updates, Traffic Updates and Sports Updates soon.
New mobile customers can sign up for our MMS services at all StarHub Shops. Alternatively, they can check out our special MMS packages advertised in the major dailies or visit our website at www.starhub.com for more details.
- End -